Artificial vs Natural Turf
The information below is intended to help you make a decision on which is right for you, It is an un-biased look at the pros and cons of both natural turf and Artificial (also known as; Astro or Synthetic turf).
All Turf Solutions does not offer supply or installation of Artificial turf, however we will quite happily refer you to one of our recommended contractors, give us a call on 1800ALLTURF and we can provide you with their details.
A nice lush green lawn has always been a desirable finish for any homeowner, but due to many factors such as the rising cost of town water, time constraints, shaded areas of lawns & lawn areas becoming smaller due to higher density housing and a lot of competing marketing information it has become a topic of debate of which solution is right for you.
But making the wrong decision may result in a huge loss of time, energy, natural recourses and money, so doing a bit of research beforehand can save you a whole lot of hassle later.
To help you decide we have summarised the key differences and factors to consider.
The environmental benefits of artificial turf
- No irrigation/watering
- No mowing (reducing the use of fossil fuels)
- No pesticides or herbicides required
- Recycled materials used in the manufacturing process
Environmental concerns for artificial turf
- Can cause issues with water run-off and leeching of chemicals into the stormwater system
- Does not filter sediment & carbon
- High carbon footprint (from manufacturing process & does not actively reduce carbon once installed)
- Disposal at end of life
- Requires cleaning (not ideal for use with pets)
- Does not provide habitat for local wildlife
- Provides no heat sinking & actually raises ambient temperature *see image to the right*
The table below summarises the differences on environmental impacts between artificial & natural turf This information is sourced from the WA Government, DSR, Natural Grass vs. Synthetic Turf Surfaces Study Final Report, Feb 2012 and updated July 2013.
*More information being added soon*